UncategorizedVideo

Report: Conyers Won’t Run For Re-Election In 2018

U.S. Representative John Conyers (D-MI) participates in a House Judiciary Committee hearing on Capitol Hill in Washington, July 12, 2016. REUTERS/Jonathan ErnstU.S. Representative John Conyers (D-MI) participates in a House Judiciary Committee hearing on Capitol Hill in Washington, July 12, 2016. REUTERS/Jonathan Ernst

Michigan Democratic Rep. John Conyers plans to announce he will not be running for re-election in 2018, according to a local report from a broadcast station.

Conyers, while he won’t officially resign from office, doesn’t plan on running for another term in 2018, two sources close to Conyers told Local 4. He plans to make the announcement in January, the sources added.

The 88-year-old representative is currently facing multiple accusations of sexual harassment from women and an allegation that he paid off one woman with taxpayer money. Conyers has denied the allegations, but said he did use taxpayer money to pay one woman, but that it amounted to severance pay.

The representative has no plans to resign and will fight the allegations against him, a lawyer for Conyers previously told The Associated Press.

“He’s going to fight these allegations tooth and nail if he has to with evidence, with documentation, witnesses, whatever he has to do,” lawyer Arnold Reed said. “And the accusers will have to prove up their case.”

Follow Amber on Twitter

Send tips to amber@dailycallernewsfoundation.org.

Content created by The Daily Caller News Foundation is available without charge to any eligible news publisher that can provide a large audience. For licensing opportunities of our original content, please contact licensing@dailycallernewsfoundation.org.

Amber Randall
the authorAmber Randall
Amber Randall is a reporting fellow with the Daily Caller News Foundation. She covers civil rights.

Leave a Reply